Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Wrap Up

Well, the bills were finally paid.  The chairs were stacked back up.  And as far as I know, everyone made it home - even Bridwell!  From the sounds of things, the reunion turned out to be a pretty good one.  I'm sure there were things that could have been done better.  Activities that could have been funner (let's just say its a word, OK...).  And there were even a few things that were said in the name of being funny that I'd love to take back.  Still, I think most folks had a good time.

There are a few things that needed wrapped up though.  Thanks are owed to the folks who donated money to help us cover the costs.  Matt Albus, Angie Hill, and Jenna Anderson all gave money via PayPal.  I also know that Kelsey Hathaway, Brock Conrad, and Crissy Brookshire all slipped in a little money the night of the event when they bought their tickets.  And a big thanks to Diane Hughes who came bearing a check to cover any final costs that weren't paid for - and more!  There were, I'm sure, a few folks who I've missed, and I apologize for that.  There were a few too many things to juggle at the reunion, so record keeping was a bit on the spotty side.

OK, so here's a little something more:  I'm really pleased to see the love out there right now.  People are "friending" folks they hadn't talked to in years.  Others spent the Sunday after the reunion catching up over breakfast.  I have no idea what happened in some of those hotel rooms, but I hope there are videos.  Pictures have been shared.  E-mails exchanged.  I like it...and I'm afraid that if we wait another ten years it will have all gone away.  So here's what I'm proposing:

Let's plan a get together sooner than ten years.  No ballrooms.  No three day events.  No meetings months in advance.  Just an old fashioned cookout in Baytown sometime next spring.  I host a crawfish party every year for 100 people or so, so this would be pretty similar.  Not quite the same learning curve as figuring out how to host a reunion.

There would be no begging for money.  Everyone would pay $10 or so.  No movie to make.  No name tags to create.  No DJ to hire.  Just a simple gathering of old friends and new.  I do have a fun idea that would take place in conjunction with the cookout, but I'll spring that on y'all closer to the event.  A $10 cookout probably won't interest a lot of the out-of-town folks (which is why we chose not to do that for the actual reunion), but it would offer a chance to keep things alive and possibly create something that we might want to do again and again.  (And out-of-towners would certainly be welcome, of course)

If this sounds like something you'd like to do, then continue to be a member of the Facebook group (or be sure to send us an updated e-mail address if you don't belong to the group.)  Also, let me know what you think by e-mailing me or posting it on Facebook.

Bottom line is that I feel lucky to have some good friends, but I could always use more.  This would be just one more chance to make a few friendships stronger, create some new memories, and...well...have a good time.  Let me know what you think. - Mike Gill  FB or mikepg@hotmail.com

PS - If you'd like to be part of putting it on, let me know......committee members

No comments:

Post a Comment